Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Institute: Alma 32

Brother Evans is an excellent Institute teacher. He presents things so clearly and it is so easy to understand-- he teaches by the spirit.

Last night the lesson was on Alma 32. More specifically on faith. Usually this lesson is about how "faith is like a little seed." But this time, it was different.

The seed is the "word," not faith. Faith is the desire to garden. You have to have faith IN your seed that it will grow. And you have to have enough faith to keep watering your seed and nurturing it. Your faith isn't what grows, but the "word" grows within your heart. Of course, as the "word" grows, your faith is reinforced and increases, but the word is what grows. It sounded so much more succinct and clear when he said it last night.

Now, for a story about how I put my faith in a seed and how that seed has grown to bear wonderful fruit!

I started working for Ann Taylor LOFT in September 2009. By October, I had expressed interest in the sales lead position that Andrea was trying to fill. She had me interview, and she started grooming me for the position. She had me go around to different stores to meet different prominent people in the district. The key person she had me meet was Leslie, the store manager for Northpark.

Andrea wanted to hire me for the position. The only catch... I'd have to work Sundays. I had decided to try my faith and be obedient. Keeping the Sabbath day holy is one of the ten commandments-- It's kind of a big deal! So on numerous occasions I made it very clear that I don't want to work Sundays for religious reasons. They kept persisting and both Andrea and Annett believed in me so much that they kept persevering on getting me into that sales lead position. In order to get Sundays off as a sales lead, I would need the District Manager's approval. When I initially wanted the position, Rebecca was the DM. She is currently on maternity leave, and Leslie is the acting DM until she returns. Annett, acting in her faith on me, approached Leslie with a proposition: I can have my Sundays off, as long as I work every Saturday. Annett admitted to me her utter shock that Leslie went for it. She said she would have never expected her to go for it, but she did! She said she didn't know why-- but I did. The Lord blessed me for my obedience.

Before hearing this news, I had decided that I wanted to transfer to the Watters Creek location, because it is half the distance from my house than Willow Bend is. I figured at least I can save on gas if I can't get a raise because I won't give up my Sundays. Little did I know that they needed a Sales Lead at Watters Creek. I would need the store manager's go ahead to get my Sundays off-- and she would have to like me enough to hire me onto her team. She was fine with the Sundays AND she liked me!

So because I was patient, and because I was obedient, I am getting promoted (including a pay raise), and I will save money on gas, and I will save driving time.

My heart is so full of gratitude. I've never had something work so much in my favor.

No comments:

Bamboo

Followers

Who, Me?

Cheese.